- GIGW Manual
- 03 Building Confidence
- 3.3 Terms & Conditions
3.3 Terms & Conditions
With the increased proliferation of Internet, more and more citizens are accessing information from Government websites. Clearly defined Terms & Conditions including well-worded disclaimers regarding the usage of websites MUST be present on every Indian Government website.
Terms & Conditions shall address the following aspects:
- Ownership Details
- Usage Policy of Content
- Legal Aspects
- Responsibility towards hyperlinked Sites
Since it is the responsibility of all Indian Government Departments to uphold and maintain the trust imposed in them by the visitors to the sites, the Government websites should not outrightly ‘disclaim’ the content of another Government website. Instead, a politely worded statement clearly indicating the ownership of the particular piece of content and the relevant details for further queries and information may be provided. Once all Indian Government websites follow standard content practices, the visitors should be able to move from one Government website to another in a manner as seamless as possible.
The Terms & Conditions should also clarify whether the information available on the website may be construed as a statement of law to be used for any legal purposes or not. It should also be mentioned that in case of any legal dispute arising out of the content on the Government website, the matter shall be heard in a court of law within the jurisdiction of the State where the concerned owner Department of the website/portal is located.
In case the content is sourced/linked from a non-government website at the other end; the Terms & Conditions should clearly state this fact and disclaim responsibility for its accuracy and currency.
In case the website involves any e-payment features where electronic transactions are involved, appropriate disclaimers, worded in consultation with the involved agencies (bank, payment gateway service provider etc.) and the legal cell of the Department should be placed on the site.
Sample Statement for Terms & Conditions
- This website is designed, developed and maintained by (Name of Department), Government of India.
- Though all efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy and currency of the content on this website, the same should not be construed as a statement of law or used for any legal purposes. In case of any ambiguity or doubts, users are advised to verify/check with the Department(s) and/or other source(s), and to obtain appropriate professional advice.
- Under no circumstances will this Department be liable for any expense, loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any expense, loss or damage whatsoever arising from use, or loss of use, of data, arising out of or in connection with the use of this website.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Indian Laws. Any dispute arising under these terms and conditions shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of India.
- The information posted on this website could include hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by non-Government/private organisations. (Name of Department) is providing these links and pointers solely for your information and convenience. When you select a link to an outside website, you are leaving the (Name of Department) website and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website.
- (Name of Department), does not guarantee the availability of such linked pages at all times.
- (Name of Department), cannot authorise the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users are advised to request such authorisation from the owner of the linked website.
- (Name of Department), does not guarantee that linked websites comply with Indian Government Web Guidelines.